Photo Essay: Undas/Todos los Santos 2014

Undas (also known as Todos los Santos, Araw ng mga Patay, or All Saints' Day) is a holiday honoring the dead. Traditionally, Filipinos visit the cemeteries on November 1 and they offer prayers, flowers, candles, and food around the graves of their departed loved ones. It is also the occasion where families are reunited. When I was a kid I really look forward to this holiday because I really love strolling around graveyard with my cousins. I also enjoyed playing with melted candles and molding them to different shapes. It's sad that I was not able to do it anymore since we are all grown-ups now. Those happy childhood moments are still in my memory.

Last November 1, 2014, I decided to go Manila South Cemetery to take some photos and experience this tradition again. Although I do not have any relatives in that area I still went ahead. It's my first time to visit the place and I was surprised because it was very crowded! It was like a market place. Vendors were everywhere. All sorts of merchandise were being sold like flowers, candles, food, pens, books, etc. There were a lot of people but the cemetery was still peaceful. It was crowded in a good way. I saw a lot of cops patrolling around the area. The media and some celebrities were also present. I saw Cory Quirino visiting the tomb of President Elpidio Quirino. She is old but still beautiful.

One thing that I really enjoyed in this place was the food! There were a lot of selections but I really liked the dried squid! I promise I will do this again next year.
 
Manila South Cemetery All Saints' Day Undas
Manila South Cemetery All Saints' Day Undas
pusit dried squid cemetery undas

JRNunez

Comments